As fall gets more and more beautiful, I take out my favorite hearty, warm, comforting recipes. When it is cooling down outside my tummy is warming up inside with this delicious baked beans recipe!
We enjoy making baked beans in our house, they are a frugal, nutritious meal that everyone in the family loves. Plus, pair them with a side of rice and you have a meal packed with complete protein for a song.
This baked beans recipe got the kid stamp of approval in our house, too. When my son came up for air several bites into his dinner his first question was “Mom, this is good! You should put this on the blog!”
So I will!
I know, you could buy a can of baked beans in the store, and it would probably be ok, but this recipe is SO GOOD! Because it uses dry beans, it is extraordinarily frugal, and made with only whole food ingredients. We love it during the fall and winter, but it could just as easily make an appearance on a summer picnic table.
So why “Wyoming Baked Beans”? Well, I live in Wyoming and Wyomingites love meat, so there is ground beef in this recipe, making it hearty enough to be a full meal all on its own. And while I have used ground beef in this recipe, you could just as easily use ground venison or ground elk, if you are one of the many hunting families who depend on game for meat every year.
So, what’s in the Wyoming Baked Beans Recipe?
I chose the following whole foods ingredients:
- 1 lb dry Great Northern Beans (soaked overnight, then cooked fully–I recommend pressure cooking for the speed of cooking)
- Bacon Grease or Oil (I highly suggest bacon grease–you save that when you make bacon, right? Well, if you don’t you should, because it MAKES this recipe what it is…but I guess you could use olive oil if you have to.)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 lb. ground beef, browned (or any ground meat will do)
- dry mustard
- mild yellow curry powder
- blackstrap molasses
- organic ketchup
- apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
Lots of good things! So let’s get that recipe!
- 1 lb dry Great Northern Beans, soaked and cooked
- ½ lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 TBSP bacon grease or oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- ¾ cup carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 2.3 cup hot water
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- 4 tsp dry mustard
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven, saute onion, celery, and carrot over medium heat until just soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven and bake covered for 4 hours (add some extra water if the beans start to look dry)
- Remove cover for the final 15-30 minutes of baking.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy my Wyoming baked beans recipe as much as my family does!