Just in time for Thanksgiving! Growing up one of the family favorites for any major holiday was that quivering, jewel-like mass of crimson joy known as Cranberry Sauce. It always came in a can, was sometimes sliced, but it was always delicious.
And once I turned a half second over twenty, it went straight to my waistline. So, there had to be a better way! Enter this delish-sugar free Cranberry Relish. Guaranteed to fit the bill for fruity sweetness alongside your Thanksgiving turkey, WITHOUT the post holiday baggage on the body.
This relish is classified as an S for the purposes of Trim Healthy Mama, but if you omit the Pecans, you could use it for a FP or E meal as well. Once I finished it, I had my husband (who detests anything with non-sugar sweeteners) try some and he declared it delicious!
Enjoy! I know I will!
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- ¾-1 cup Truvia (or homemade alternative)
- ¾ cup water
- pinch cloves
- pinch ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 3-5 drops orange essential oil (supplement grade, like Young Living OR use orange zest)
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized saucepan (Except pecans and orange essential oil. If using orange zest, add now.)
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce to a brisk simmer, stirring frequently.
- Allow all cranberries to burst and begin to reduce and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Cranberries have a large amount of natural pectin, so no additional thickener is needed.
- Remove from heat and add chopped pecans.
- Once mostly cool, add orange essential oil, if using.
This post is linked up at Trim Healthy Tuesday!