One of the very first things that I ever made for my then-boyfriend/now-husband was quick bread, and so it very “quickly” became a favorite treat (and often breakfast) as we began our early married life together. It is strangely fitting, that after that start that one of the very first gifts I received from my mother in law was a loaf of homemade banana bread that she tucked in a little basket of food she put together for us when we came out to visit the family for the first time as a married couple.
So that is why when you fast forward nearly 12 years of marriage and two kids later, quick breads are still a delicious and convenient way to get everyone fed and our day underway.That’s why I’ve been tweaking this banana bread recipe so that we can have quick, healthy options on hand so we can get our day off and running with a minimum of stress. It’s dairy free and gluten free so EVERYONE in our family can have it. (That is SUPER important since everyone in our family has different food restrictions!)
So here’s what you’re going to need to make this gluten free banana bread recipe:
- An all purpose gluten free flour blend (I created this recipe with and recommend Namaste Foods Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend)
- Our old baking standbys, baking powder and baking soda.
- Some ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Some overly ripe bananas that your kids decided were “too brown”
- Coconut oil and coconut sugar. (I love the healthy fats from the coconut oil and the gentler effect on the blood sugar from the coconut sugar).
- And the walnuts, of course…because it’s not a good banana bread without some nuts!
So, now that you have your ingredients, go ahead and print out that recipe! Then enjoy some tasty, dairy and gluten free banana bread with YOUR family!
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Flour (I recommend Namaste Brand Perfect Flour Blend)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground cinamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups mashed over ripe banana
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a standard sized loaf pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients thoroughly and then add to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add nuts, and then gently fold in.
- Fill your prepared loaf pan with batter and bake in the 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- Wrap in foil and allow to sit overnight if you can stand it right then or just eat it because it smells great!
So tell me, do you enjoy quick breads? What is your favorite kind?